AMS Dog Barn
- 6038 Thunderbird Blvd.
- Sharp & Thompson
- $13,000 (estimated)
- Sources of funds:
- Department of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment
- Use history:
- Housed horses used by Agricultural Department until
mid-40s, and cattle, hogs and other Agricultural Department experimental
animals until 1955.
1955-1965 housed research animals for several University departments.
1965-1981 turned over to Faculty of Medicine (Animal Care Department)
- Name history:
- Horse Barn 1920-1950
Dog Barn 1950-
- Architectural features:
- Cedar and fir lumber. Walls of terra
cotta tile in mortar. Exterior: wood siding and stucco.
- The building was scheduled for demolition in 1982, but was saved by
a petition started by Prof. Jan de Vries and a students' referendum. It
was eventually demolished in 2002.
- Thompson, Berwick, Pratt; Physical Plant; University
Extension Committee; UBC Essays.
Alphabetical Index | Chronological Index