Life Sciences Centre
- 2350 Health Sciences Mall
- Bunting Coady, Diamond & Schmitt
- $125 million
- Architectural features:
- Features two auditoria with high-speed videoconferencing capabilities.
Photoelectric sensors are installed throughout the building, automatically
adjusting interior lighting based on the amount of natural light coming
in through windows and atrium skylights. At 52,165 sq. metres, this is
the largest building at UBC.
- Use history:
- Expanded Medical Education Program, Life Sciences Institute.
- The building earned a Gold Certification from the
U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
(LEED) rating system, making it the first educational building in Canada
to do so. 80% of construction waste was salvaged or recycled, and the building
used 10% recycled and 30% local materials in construction.
- UBC Reports, UBC Public Affairs
Alphabetical Index | Chronological Index