1922, tired of over-crowded conditions at Fairview, UBC students organized a
province-wide publicity campaign to persuade the government to complete the
Point Grey campus. The "Build the University" campaign climaxed in October with
a parade (the "Pilgrimage", later known as the "Great Trek") from downtown Vancouver
to Point Grey, where students occupied the skeleton of the Science Building
(right). In November, the government authorized a $1.5 million loan to
began in 1923, and the cornerstone of the Science Building was laid on 28 September
of that year (left). The granite facing stones for that building and
the Library were quarried on Nelson Island, and transported by barge to the
foot of the Point Grey cliffs; from there they were hauled to the building site
using a combined aerial tramway / light rail system (below).
Six wood-frame and stucco "semi-permanent" buildings (below left) were begun in spring of 1924, and were finished a year later. The Library (below right) was the last building to be completed, and when the workmen left on 31 October 1925, UBC gained full possession of its new campus.
Back to "The Evolving Campus"