When Marjorie Agnew died on October the eleventh this year after a prolonged illness, Vancouver lost a valued and distinguished citizen.
A graduate of the University of British Columbia, in the class of Arts '22, she was during her undergraduate years an active member of the Musical Society and the Player's Club, and served as secretary of the Students' Council. She was secretary of the Student Trek movement in the years 1922 and 1923. In 1947, on the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Great Trek, she received the Great Trekker Award.
By profession she was a school teacher. She started her teaching career at Lord Tennyson Elementary, become girls' counsellor at Templeton Junior High, and later was placed in charge of the first girls' unit at the Vancouver Technical School. While on the staff of Templeton School, she organized the first Sir Ernest MacMillan Club in October, 1937. Its purpose was to foster an interest in the fine arts among young people. Her enthusiasm was contagious, and soon there were MacMillan Clubs in many schools throughout British Columbia. The name was chosen because the distinguished musician, Sir Ernest MacMillan, was an old friend of the Agnew family.
Before long the MacMillan Club Spring Festival, with competitions in music, the speech arts, dance, the graphic arts and literature become an annual event taking place in a number of schools. The MacMillan Club Rally, an annual event also, was held in the Malkin Bowl on the first Sunday of June. Prize winners and other talented members of the Clubs performed in this public concert, at which Sir Ernest MacMillan was usually present. Some of Vancouver's noted musicians and artists were winners of the MacMillan Club Scholarships.
For many years Miss Agnew was a member of the Board of Directors of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. She arranged that senior school students should usher at concerts in the Orpheum Theatre and the Georgia Auditorium. Thereby many young people, who would not otherwise be able to do so, were able to see and hear famous artists.
She served on the U.B.C. Senate from 1951 to 1957 and was a member of the first U.B.C. Music Committee out of which eventually came the establishment of our Department of Music. Her energy, kindness, and unfailing ability to get things done lives in our memories. She never expected thanks or sought for honours. She was asked by this Senate in 1963 to accept an honorary degree. She declined. To work and succeed was for her enough.
We remember a dedicated, energetic woman who contributed so much to the developing of the imagination and creativity of the young people in this province.
Aaro Aho died in Ladysmith, B.C. on May 27, 1977, as the result of a tragic accident on his farm.
He was born in Ladysmith on June 20, 1925, the son of immigrant Finnish parents. He studied as an undergraduate at the University of British Columbia and received his Bachelor's degree in Geology in 1949. He later attended the University of California where he received a Ph.D. in Petrology and Mineralogy in 1954. He taught briefly at the University of Oregon.
In 1953 he joined the Geological Survey of Canada. From that time he became committed seriously to a study of the Yukon and to the search for and development of mineral resources. Through his persistence and intuitive skill he brought about a resurgence of mining activity in that area.
In 1964 he founded Dynasty Explorations Ltd., and through his efforts the zinc-lead-silver Anvil ore body at Faro was discovered the following year. He was also credited with the finding of a natural gas field in Lake Erie in 1967, the Sierra Gorda copper-molybdenum deposit in Northern Chile in 1970, and the Grum lead-zinc-silver deposit in the Anvil District in 1973.
He was not only one of Canada's most successful geologists and a great mine-finder, but he also bridged the gap between industry and the University. He was a stalwart friend and supporter of the University of British Columbia, and had a long-standing interest in students. It was from students working with him in the Yukon during the summer months that he heard of the concern on campus about the inadequacy of the geology facilities and of the faculty's dreams and plans for a new building. He lost no time in appraising the situation for himself. As a result he headed the successful fund-raising campaign which helped finance the construction of our Geological Sciences Centre, a project to which he devoted a prodigious amount of time and energy. He served on the University Senate as a Convocation member from 1969 to 1975. He found time for writing, and published numerous papers.
He was highly respected and admired by prospectors, geologists, miners and businessmen alike. His enthusiasm and his single-mindedness to attain a goal drew people of all kinds to him and his projects. He had drive and initiative, but above all he had faith in his convictions. His passing is a great loss to the mining and university communities and to the Yukon. He will never be forgotten by them or by a host of other friends.
William John Allardyce, Professor Emeritus of Biology and Botany, died suddenly December 21, 1964, at the age of 67. A product of British Columbia, he won his B.A. in 1919 and his M.A. in 1921. He had served in the Canadian Field Artillery in 1917-18. He became instructor in Chemistry in 1921, in which position he lectured at the University until 1929, when he moved to McGill In pursuit of the Ph.D., which he obtained in 1931. He returned to British Columbia as Assistant Professor of Chemistry for one year, after which he taught science at King Edward High School from 1932 to 1938. He then accepted appointment at the University of British Columbia as Assistant Professor of Biology and Botany and in due course attained the rank of Professor. He retired in 1964 and was granted the title Emeritus.
Although he was a scholar who won and retained the respect of his colleagues, Allardyce devoted his chief energies to his students. He had himself participated in the building of the University, for in 1922 he was one of the eight who organized the Great Trek. Allardyce's students went on to graduate studies in other institutions and in their success was reflected the quality of Allardyce himself as well as his institution. He was known as a congenial colleague, who always had time to spare for others who sought advice or a friendly word. He will be missed on this campus, especially by those whose memories go back to the early days of the University of British Columbia.
The survivors include his wife, Henriette, a son, Dr. Bruce Allardyce, a daughter, Mrs. Bruce Wallace, and four grandchildren. To these, the Senate of the University, which he served from 1951 to 1957, extends its sympathy.
With the passing of Geoffrey Andrew, this University has lost one of its last links with the great period of its expansion which occurred after the Second World War. Geoffrey Andrew was an active witness to U.B.C.'s transformation from a small provincial university to a major national centre for teaching, research and public service.
Born in Bayfield, Nova Scotia, Professor Andrew was educated at the Kings College of Dalhousie University, and at Balliol College, Oxford.
After a teaching career at Upper Canada College, he came to The University of British Columbia to begin a long period of outstanding service, first as Assistant to President MacKenzie, and later as Dean and Deputy President. He served this university from 1947 until 1962 and was a member of Senate for nine years between 1953 and 1962.
Dean Andrew participated in a wide range of public service activities —Chairman of the Vancouver Branch of the Canadian Institute for Public Affairs, President of the Vancouver Arts Council, a Director of the Canadian Institute for the Blind and Director of Community Chest.
Geoff Andrew was a passionate believer in liberal education and a staunch defender of the role of the arts in society. He was also a tireless spokesman for greater accessibility to higher education and gave strong support to the expansion of educational opportunity throughout the Province of British Columbia.
From 1962 until his retirement, Geoff Andrew served as executive director of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. His voice in promoting the cause of universities was heard in every corner of the nation.
Geoffrey Andrew maintained his deep affection for this University throughout his retirement years. As an educator in the classic university mould he had few equals.
To his surviving family the Senate of this University extends its deepest sympathy.
Dr. John Hobart McLean Andrews was born on May 15, 1926 in Kamloops, British Columbia. After attending Kamloops High School, he received a Bachelor of Arts in Physics from the University of British Columbia. Following teacher training, he taught at various schools across British Columbia in communities such as Squamish and Salmon Arm. In 1957, he received a doctorate from the University of Chicago in the field of Education Administration, and soon afterwards joined the University of Alberta as a Professor of Education Administration.
From 1965 to 1973, Dr. Andrews served as the Associate Director of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education. Upon his return to British Columbia, he joined UBC as the Dean of the Faculty of Education, serving as Dean until 1979 and then as Professor until his retirement in 1985. Dr. Andrews enriched the lives of many UBC students and held a deep personal and professional commitment to the University and to public education both in Canada and around the world.
Henry Forbes Angus, one of this university's most distinguished professors and an outstanding servant of his country and his province, passed away on September 17, 1991.
Henry Angus was born in Victoria on April 19, 1891. After his early education at Victoria High School, he was a student at McGill University from 1907 to 1911, earning a B.A. degree. From 1912 to 1914, Dean Angus attended Oxford University, graduating with a B.A. and a degree in Civil Law. He also earned the prestigious Vinerian Law Scholar Award.
From 1914 to 1919, Henry Angus saw war service in India and Mesopotamia as Staff Captain in the 34th Indian Infantry Brigade. After demobilization he reentered Oxford for his M.A. degree and was called to the Bar on his return to British Columbia.
In 1919, he accepted a position of Assistant Professor of Economics, Political Science and Sociology at the young provincial university located in the Fairview Shacks near the Vancouver General Hospital. After a period of time practising law, he returned to the university, now at Point Grey, as Professor and Head of his original department.
In 1948, he was appointed the first Dean of Graduate Studies and served until his retirement in 1956.
Few Canadians have offered themselves in the service of their country as often and as fully as Henry Angus. Among his many roles and responsibilities, he was also a member of the Rowell-Sirois Royal Commission on Dominion-Provincial Relations, a member of the Royal Commission on Transportation, Chairman of the Public Utilities Commission of B.C. and a member of the Energy Board of the province.
Dean Angus had an understanding of Canada which was well ahead of its time. In a brief on the Constitution written in 1966, he reflected upon his experience on the Rowell-Sirois Commission some thirty years earlier with these words...
"They (English speaking observers) were almost completely oblivious to the cultural aspirations of Quebec. The idea that Quebec might not want financial benefits at the price of a moral sacrifice was incomprehensive to them."
His involvement in professional activities was no less impressive. They included the Presidency of the Royal Society of Canada and the Political Science Association, a member of the Social Science Research Council, the Canadian Institute of International Affairs, and the Institute of Pacific Relations.
His long list of publications include titles such as Canada and the Far East, British Columbia and the United States, and Canada's Economy in a Changing World.
Dean Angus received an Honorary LL.D. from McGill and on his retirement, an LL.D. from this university.
Henry Angus was a great Canadian. He was also a brilliant scholar, writer, and teacher. His ideas were sought, read and highly respected, not only in his native country, but throughout the world. But he was also a deeply committed member of the university community. In his final Convocation Address, Dean Angus delivered a passionate defence of university values. While acknowledging its role in research and in training men and women for professions, he saw liberal education as the undisputed heart of the university, and cultivation of the mind as its greatest and most unique contribution to society.
The life of Henry Angus extended over one hundred years. It was a life of service to his country and its people. It was also a life in which this university played a large and important part.
To his surviving family, the Senate of this university extends its deepest sympathy.
Ebenezer Henry Archibald, professor emeritus of Chemistry, was a member of Faculty almost from its beginning. His colleagues, his students, and the members of this Senate are grateful for the memory of his distinguished achievement in science, his quietly effectual teaching, and his heroic conquest of affliction.
William Armstrong, a leader in the field of higher education in the province and a former Dean and Deputy President of this university, died on July 6, 1990.
Dean Armstrong was born in Hamilton, Ontario, in 1915, and graduated in Applied Science from the University of Toronto in 1937.
After ten years in business with the Steel Company of Canada and the Ontario Research Foundation, he was appointed Associate Professor of Metallurgy at UBC in 1946. Between 1964 and 1974, he held the positions of Head of the Department of Metallurgy, Dean of Applied Science, and Deputy President.
In 1974, Dean Armtstrong resigned to become the first Chairman of the Universities Council of B.C. and was later appointed Executive Director of the Research Secretariat.
Bill Armstrong held impressive credentials. He played a key role in the formation of TRIUMF, chaired the board of directors of the Tri Nation body to construct a 144-inch telescope on the island of Hawaii, and served as a Director of WESTAR. His honours included an Honorary Doctor of Science from UBC in 1975 and his appointment as Member of the Order of Canada in 1982.
Dean Armstrong assumed leadership positions in the Engineering profession, the university community, and this province's educational system. He played an important role as a member of Canada's Science Council, the National Research Council, and the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. He was committed to the promotion of science and research in the nation's interest. He approached every task as a challenge and an opportunity to improve the quality of life for all Canadians. As a researcher, an administrator, and a public figure, Bill Armstrong sought excellence as an overriding priority.
The Senate of this university, to which he gave fourteen years of dedicated service, wishes to express its deepest sympathy to the family of William McColl Armstrong.
The Senate records its deep regret and sense of loss in the death of Harry Ashton. He came to the University at its inception and from 1915 to 1933 he served it memorably, as head of the Department of French. Born in Lancashire, he had attended Boury Grammar School and Saltley Training College (Birmingham), had spent seven years in Paris and taken his M.A. at Cambridge. He proved to be not only a scholar of reputation but also a teacher of exceptional skill and tact, who could infuse his own love of French language and culture into his pupils, many of whom became his friends. He was distinguished by an edged wit, a broadly humane outlook and a wisdom which often concealed itself behind his verbal sallies. In 1933 this University lost him to Cambridge, his alma mater. He had become an authority in the field of 19th-century French literature and his interests, as attested by scholarly publication, were wide enough to include Cyrano de Bergerac, Madame de La Fayette, Moliere, La Brunyere and DeBartas. In 1946 he returned to Canada and was engaged for two years in the exacting tasks of our post-war teaching, to expanded classes. At the time of his death he held doctorates from Cambridge, Paris, Birmingham and British Columbia, was Chevalier da la Legion d'Honneur and Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
His presence will long remain in this place, for his enthusiasm, his wit, his dignity and his integrity are part of our inherited tradition and live in the memory and in the character of those on this campus he for so long served so well.
Back to Senate Tributes Index