The Senate of the University of British Columbia records its profound sense of loss in the death of Professor Max Cameron on September 29th, 1951. He joined the staff of the University in 1939 to direct the Department of Education. His labours and his influence extended far beyond the confines of the campus. The Cameron report on the educational system of this province became the basis for extensive reforms which are still proceeding. To the formation of University and Provincial policies he contributed much of knowledge and wisdom from his wide acquaintance with education, his liberal philosophy, his humane sympathy and his practical sense.
Those who knew him best valued him most and few could resist his personal qualities of integrity, devotion and good humour. Nothing contributed more to the esteem and affection in which he was held than his uncomplaining discharge of duty during the last years when his health was such as to make the effort double arduous.
To the members of his family the Senate wishes to extend deepest sympathy and to signalize the affectionate remembrance in which he will ever be held.
Charles Campbell was born in Phoenix, BC on November 25, 1913 and passed away on September 2, 2007 at the Saanich Peninsula Hospital.
With his family, he circumnavigated the globe, living in Montreal, Cape Town and O'okiep, South Africa, and visiting England, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Hawaii. Upon his return to Vancouver, he studied Mineral Engineering at UBC.
Charles Campbell came from a family where civic engagement was second-nature and consistently honoured his family's tradition of unstinting public advocacy. In the 1972 BC provincial election, he ran as a Liberal in the Vancouver-Burrard riding, and later served as president of the provincial Liberal party. From 1966 to 1975, he was a convocation member of the UBC Senate. In 1974, Mr. Campbell began 10 years of service as a member and eventually vice-chair of what was then known as the Immigration Appeal Board. His displeasure with immigration administration led to a quarter century of persistent advocacy for more consistent and rigorous immigration policy. At the age of 86, frustrated that meaningful public debate was often torpedoed by either bigotry or political correctness, he self-published the book Betrayal and Deceit: The Politics of Canadian Immigration.
In keeping with Mr. Campbell's commitment to civil society, the Campbell Phoenix Fund has been established through the Vancouver Foundation with a goal to facilitate writing on public policy in British Columbia.
Senate wishes to record its deep sense of loss sustained through the passing of Mr. James A. Campbell on August 8th, 1953.
A graduate of Queen's University, Mr. Campbell came to this province as a young man. He entered the legal profession and in due course became a leading and highly respected Member of the Bar. In this capacity he took a prominent part in the deliberations that led to the establishment of the Faculty of Law in this University.
He was a member of Senate from 1927-31. His continuing interest in the University was active and profound. In the midst of a life devoted to public service the need for providing more adequate financial assistance for our undergraduates was always in his mind. It was during his presidency of the Vancouver Men's Canadian Club that he was largely instrumental in promoting the establishment of a number of substantial scholarships and prizes which were donated to the University through that organization. The members of Senate acknowledge their debt of gratitude for this and the many other expressions of goodwill shown to the University by Mr. Campbell, and wish to extend their deepest sympathy to the members of his family.
A native of Vancouver, Dr. Jack Campbell was born on March 29, 1918. He obtained a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture from the University of British Columbia in 1939 and a Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1944. In the late 1940s, he accepted a position at UBC in the Faculty of Agriculture and quickly rose to the rank of Professor and eventually became the Head of the Department of Dairying. In 1965, Dr. Campbell was appointed the Head of the Department of Microbiology, where he remained until his retirement in 1983. Under his leadership, the Department of Microbiology earned the reputation of being one of the best in its field in Canada. Dr. Campbell was also an active member of the UBC Senate, serving a total of three terms as a representative of the Faculty of Agriculture and the Joint Faculties.
Beyond his administrative and scientific work, Dr. Campbell influenced UBC in other ways. He was an early president of the Faculty Association and played a key role in setting up the Biomedical Discussion Group. Through the Discussion Group and because of his conviction of the importance of biochemistry in the biological sciences, Dr. Campbell was instrumental in ensuring the viability of the discipline at UBC.
Outside of the University, he was a charter member of the Canadian Society of Microbiologists and served as President of the Society in 1974. He was also a member of the American Society for Microbiology and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1961.
Dr. Campbell's legacy is rich and far-reaching, both on a personal and professional level. He will be greatly missed by all who shared his life.
The death of the Very Reverend Dr. Henry Carr on November 28, 1963, at the age of 83, brings vividly to the minds of those fortunate enough to have known him the memory of a man who brought to this university and this Senate a distinguished reputation and personal gifts of a high order.
Ordained priest in the Basilian Order in 1905, Father Carr taught at St. Michael's College in Toronto for more than twenty years. He became Superior of the College in 1915, and was the founder and president of the Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies, which became known throughout the world for its scholarship and attracted such distinguished figures as Jacques Maritain and Etienne Gilson. He later was elected Superior-General of the Congregation of St. Basil, and founded several educational Institutions, including St. Thomas More College at Saskatoon, an affiliate of the University of Saskatchewan. Retiring from the principalship, he came to Vancouver in 1951. He taught at the University of British Columbia as a special lecturer, first in Classics and later In Philosophy, from 1951 to 1956 and during 1961-62 was an Honorary Lecturer in Religious Studies. In 1956 he received the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws from this university, and from 1957 to 1962 served as a member of Senate. He founded St. Mark's College, in affiliation with the University of British Columbia, and was its principal until 1961.
A career marked by such achievements as those of Father Carr indicates an unusual capacity for leadership and a striking degree of initiative. Yet these qualities in him were unobtrusive. What aroused respect and affection in his colleagues and his students was his happy blend of gentleness and warmth, often moving them to use the word "lovable" when speaking of him. The erudition of the writer and teacher, the talent of the administrator, the skill of the athletic coach that on three occasions carried college football teams to Canadian championships - this range of interests and abilities revealed a man in whom the demands of the contemplative and the active life were harmonized. The departments of this university in which he taught were the richer and happier for his association with them; in awarding him an honorary degree, the university was itself honoured; and the Senate, recalling the contributions made by Father Carr, pays grateful tribute to one of its members who applied his Christian beliefs and training to the ends of enlightenment and brotherhood.
Stuart D. Cavers, Professor of Chemical Engineering, died in Vancouver on May 27, 1983 at age 62. He had been a faculty member at U.B.C. for 27 years.
Stuart Cavers was born in Vancouver, did his early schooling at Queen Mary elementary and Lord Byng secondary schools and in 1942 graduated with a Bachelor of Applied Science (Honours) from U.B.C. in Chemical Engineering. After two years as a Junior Engineer at Cominco Limited in Trail, B.C. he returned to U.B.C. and completed a M.A.Sc. degree in 1946. From 1946-47 he was an Instructor in the Department of Chemistry at U.B.C. He then attended the California Institute of Technology from 1948-50 gaining a Ph.D. in 1951.
Dr. Cavers was appointed an Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering at the University of Saskatchewan in 1950, and made Associate Professor in 1951. In 1955 he left this position to join the B.C. Research Council in Vancouver. During the following year he did some part-time lecturing at U.B.C. in the Department of Chemical Engineering. In 1956 he joined the same department as a full-time Associate Professor. He was promoted to the rank of Professor in 1964 and served as Acting Head of Chemical Engineering in 1965-66.
Throughout his subsequent career at U.B.C., Professor Cavers played an active role in university affairs and in the community. His preparation of lectures and participation in committee work were always characterized by meticulous care, thoroughness and enthusiasm. He cared deeply about the university and his students and was extremely conscientious in fulfilling his duties.
Professor Cavers' research interests were primarily in the area of liquid-liquid extraction, and his many contibutions are well summarized in his chapter in the Handbook of Solvent Extraction which appeared recently.
Professor Cavers was a member of Senate from 1968-75 serving on the Agenda, Nominating and Curriculum standing committees and on ad hoc committees on Examination Policies, the Role and Organization of Senate, and Degree Programs for Part-time Students. He was also a member of many university committees and was held in high esteem for his thoroughness, good judgment and good nature.
Professor Cavers was also active in the Association of Professional Engineers of B.C. and the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering. He was especially well known for a series of annual articles in Chemistry in Canada detailing employment statistics and trends for B.A.Sc. graduates in chemical engineering.
A "Stuart Cavers Memorial Scholarship Fund" has been established through the U.B.C. Awards Office in honour of Professor Cavers and in recognition of his deep interest in students and scholarships.
Senate extends deepest sympathy to his wife Geroldine and their four children.
With the passing of Sperrin Chant, this university has lost one of the last of its great builders of the post war years. Not only was Dean Chant a powerful force in the creation of solutions to the university's critical problem of growth and change, he also served as a tireless spokesman for higher education in the wider community and was regarded as an educational leader of unrivaled stature.
Sperrin Chant was born in St. Thomas, Ontario in 1896. After serving in the Canadian Expeditionery Force from 1916-1918, he enrolled at the University of Toronto where he completed his B.A. and M.A. with an outstanding academic record.
Dean Chant joined the teaching faculty of his alma mater as a Professor of Psychology between 1922 and 1945. Again his career was interrupted by service in World War II with the Royal Canadian Air Force from 1941 to 1944.
In 1945 he was appointed Head of Psychology and Philosophy and three years later as Dean of Arts and Science at this university.
His involvement in the Senate covered sixteen years.
It is quite impossible to adequately recognize the enormous contribution which he made to the academic development of this university. He played a major role in the preparation of the Macdonald Report, a creative endeavour which changed forever the face of higher education in this province. In 1960, Dean Chant completed the onerous task of chairing the Royal Commission on Education. Although not without controversy, the Report was exhaustive, critical and constructive. It became a blueprint for public education and defined an organizational structure which has endured to this day.
His retirement as Dean in 1964 simply brought new challenges and further responsibilities. Dean Chant played a leading role in the development of post-secondary education in British Columbia by chairing the Academic Board. It was largely a consequence of his diplomatic and planning skills that articulation within the system developed rationally and efficiently.
Sperrin Chant was noted for his wisdom and sound judgment. His counsel was sought, not only by some of the most influential figures in Canada, but by a host of individuals with problems of lesser magnitude. To all who sought his advice he gave the same courteous attention - inevitably tempered with respect and consideration.
Sperrin Chant served his country for over seventy years - as a distinguished scholar, a soldier, and a dedicated public servant, whenever and wherever his help was needed. Through his long and productive life he never failed to provide a unique quality of service which characterized his entire career.
To his surviving family the Senate of this university extends its deepest sympathy.
Dale Bryon Cherchas was born in 1944 in Kamloops, British Columbia and was a graduate of both the University of British Columbia and the University of Toronto. Dr. Cherchas came to UBC in 1982 as an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and was promoted to Professor in 1985. He served as Acting Head of Mechanical Engineering in 1999 and from 2000 until his illness, served as Associate Dean Research and External, Faculty of Applied Science. Dr. Cherchas was an active member of CICSR/ICICS; was a founding fellow of the Advanced Systems Institute of BC (ASI); served on the Senior Appointments Committee of the University and was a member of the UBC Senate from September 2002 until the Fall of 2003. Dr. Cherchas was an international authority on robotics and control theory.
Born in Vancouver, Dr. Clark earned a Bachelor of Commerce (1941) and Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Economics (1942), both at UBC, and in 1946, he completed his Ph.D. at Harvard University. Dr. Clark was a member of the Department of Economics from 1946 to 1985 and especially enjoyed teaching government finance. Throughout his 40 year career at the university, he published numerous texts on finance and economic security and also served on three provincial commissions of inquiry on public finance issues.
Actively involved in the administration of the university, Dr. Clark was appointed as University Planner in 1966 and served as a member of both the Senate and Board of Governors. He also dedicated his time and efforts to the Vancouver School of Theology, Regent College and the Vancouver Board of Trade. He was awarded the Confederation Medal by the federal government in 1991 for outstanding service to the people of Canada. In retirement, Dr. Clark remained actively engaged in civic affairs and remained passionate about contributing to a just and united Canada and to the betterment of society.
Frederick Moore Clement died June 10, 1974, in his 90th year. Born in Niagara-on-the-Lake, the descendant of United Empire Loyalists, he took degrees in Agriculture at the Ontario Agricultural College and the University of Wisconsin.
After two years as Lecturer in Horticulture at Macdonald College and two years as Director of the Vineland Experimental Station, he come to the University of British Columbia as Professor of Horticulture in the young Faculty of Agriculture in 1916, to become Dean in 1919. For thirty years he led the Faculty, making of it a powerful force in the agricultural life of the Province. In the appointment of staff he sought high qualities of research and teaching and he insisted upon a willingness to participate in a programme of extension that took the faculty into the Province. Within the faculty he constructed a flexible curriculum in which each student had reasonable choice. In a five-year programme (1918 to 1923) he was responsible for 33 courses, many of them short-term, off the campus involving 2555 students.
The Faculty of Agriculture thus become known to the growers and producers and he was their respected friend. He served on Royal Commissions to investigate the problems of marketing and labour-disputes; his reports became the basis for legislation. In recognition of his accomplishments and special interests, he was in 1940 appointed Professor and Head of the Department of Agricultural Economics. It is not an exaggeration to state that he built Agricultural Economics as a subject of advanced study in Western Canada. As Dean, he continued to teach and throughout Canada his former students occupy significant positions.
At his retirement the University conferred upon him the Honorary Degree D.Sc. In retirement he was a frequent visitor to the campus and, when the Department of Extension celebrated its twenty-fifth year of life, Dean Clement was a central figure, for he had been one of the founders. In May, 1974, at a gathering that marked the 60th year of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Dean Clement was a clear and fascinating speaker.
Without any doubt, Dean Clement was one of the great pioneers of this University. He is survived by his widow and two sons, to whom the University extends its sympathy.
One of the most treasured resources of a great university is a loyal and committed alumni. With the passing of John Valentine Clyne this university has lost an alumnus who devoted much of his life to the betterment of his Alma Mater.
Jack Clyne was born in Vancouver in 1902. After his early schooling he entered UBC in 1919 and began a lifelong association with the university. As an undergraduate he participated to the full in university life, playing leading roles in the theatre, athletics, and student politics. As a leading participant in the Great Trek, Mr. Clyne actively lobbied the government of the day to create a permanent site for the university at Point Grey.
After his graduation in 1923, Jack Clyne studied marine law in the United Kingdom and was called to the British Columbia bar in 1927. A successful legal career culminated with his appointment to the Supreme Court of British Columbia in 1950. In 1957 he assumed a directorship with MacMillan Bloedel and later served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer until his retirement in 1973.
Mr. Clyne's extraordinary record of public service involved leading roles in three influential Royal Commissions and the creation of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Legal Studies. His many honours included a knighthood in the Order of St. John in 1959 and a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1972.
During his busy career, however, Jack Clyne always found time to serve this university. He was elected to Senate for three terms between 1951 and 1960. In 1978, as Chancellor, he began another six years of service on both the Board of Governors and the Senate. In recognition, the university awarded him an honorary doctorate in 1984 and established the prestigious J. V. Clyne Lecture Program.
Gifted with enormous energy and broad intellectual interests, Mr. Clyne's opinions were valued highly at many levels of society. While his views were forthright and often controversial, he held no fears and sought no favours. While his values were traditional, his principles were steadfast and untarnished.
John Valentine Clyne was a great Canadian. He cared deeply about his country, his province, his university and society-at-large. Throughout his many careers he energetically pursued those goals which he saw as essential to the betterment of each of his associations.
To his wife, Betty, and to his surviving family, the Senate of The University of British Columbia extends its deepest sympathy.
Herbert T. J. Coleman died June 9, 1964, at the age of 92. Dr. Coleman, after taking his first degree at Toronto, won his Ph.D. at Columbia and began his teaching career in the high schools of Spokane. He moved to Colorado State University as Professor of Education and returned to Canada to serve with the same title at the University of Toronto. From here he was called to Queen's University as Dean of the Faculty of Education.
In 1920, Dr. Coleman travelled west to assume dual responsibilities as the second Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science and Head of the Department of Philosophy and Psychology at the University of British Columbia. For eight years Dean Coleman administered the affairs of the Faculty and occupied the accompanying seat on Senate. The principal champion of a liberal policy for teachers attending the young Summer Session of the early 1920's, Dean Coleman became the provisional Director of the post-graduate course in Teacher Training that was established in the regular session for the first time in 1923.
Dean Coleman was by nature a gentle philosopher and he resigned his decanal office in 1928. Now he devoted himself to his teaching, to his own field of study, and to the writing of poetry. By 1940, when he retired, he had become, to borrow from the author of Tuum Est, the ungarlanded poet laureate of the University. In 1945 he was given the title Professor Emeritus.
Dr. Coleman retired to Deep Cove, a charming and rustic bay just outside Victoria. Here he wrote poetry for children, fished, and dispensed a casual hospitality to his friends. Those who visited him will not soon forget the mild patriarch, surrounded by his kin of all ages and presiding over abundant high teas. Nor did he forget the University of British Columbia, which he served actively and conscientiously for twenty years and whose fortunes he followed closely for nearly a quarter of a century in retirement.
Dr. Harold Copp was a renowned Canadian medical scientist. He came to UBC in 1950 as a Professor and the first Head of the Department of Physiology when the Faculty of Medicine was founded. He was a strong advocate for medical research and played a major role in developing the reputation of the Faculty of Medicine at UBC. He served on the UBC Senate on three different occasions: 1954-57, 1966-69 and 1975-78, and was Coordinator of Health Sciences before his retirement in 1980.
Dr. Copp received his MD from the University of Toronto in 1939 and his Ph.D. in Biochemistry from The University of California at Berkeley in 1943.
He began his academic career in Berkeley during World War II where he worked on the Manhattan Project and was one of the first scientists to warn of the health hazards of atomic fission materials. His life long interest in bone metabolism led to his discovery of the hormone Calcitonin in 1961. Subsequent endocrinological studies of this hormone led to new knowledge in calcium metabolism and better understanding of osteoporosis and other bone diseases. These discoveries were the basis for inducting Harold Copp into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame as one of the 10 chartered members in 1994.
He also received many other honours for his scientific and academic achievements. He was a Fellow of both the Royal Society and the Royal Society of Canada, President of the Academy of Science of the Royal Society of Canada, and an Officer of the Order of Canada. He received the Gairdner Award, the Flavelle Medal and the Jacob Biely Research Prize and served as President of both the Canadian Physiological Society and the National Cancer Institute of Canada. For these achievements, UBC awarded Harold Copp the degree Doctor of Science, honoris causa in 1980.
He was dedicated to an academic career and to UBC. He made major contributions to this University as a teacher and an administrator and he brought distinction and international repute to UBC through his scholarly work. He made a major contribution to our University and our community, and improved the health of many throughout the world through his scientific discoveries.
Mollie Cottingham, Professor Emerita of Education, died on December 1, 1976. A native of Ontario, she took her B.A. at the University of British Columbia in 1927 and in the following year began her teaching career in the secondary schools of the Province. In these schools she taught continuously, with the exception of a year (1928-9) in the secondary schools of Ontario and a year with the Provincial Normal School (1955-6), until 1957, when a long period of devoted service to the British Columbia Teachers' Federation culminated in the Presidency of that organization. From this office she passed to the new Faculty and College of Education, where she stayed until her retirement in 1971.
A mere history of the contributions that Mollie Cottingham made to the schools would produce a lengthy document. Although she was always ready to examine proposals for change without bias, she remained committed to the traditional discipline of fundamental education. Thus she proved to be a wise choice as representative of the British Columbia Teachers' Federation in this Senate from 1953 to 1958. During these critical years, in which the Faculty and College of Education come into existence, it was Mollie Cottingham whose advice and experienced counsel were constantly sought. Naturally, she became a member of that Faculty and over the years hundreds of students learned from her what it means to be a teacher.
She brought to her responsibility a firm comprehension of what teachers should know and how they should impart that knowledge humanely to boys and girls. In 1967 she won the Fergusson Memorial Award as the Outstanding Educator of the Year, and her colleagues rejoiced. On this campus Mollie Cottingham was revered as highly in the other Faculties as in her own. As a Teacher and as a Teacher of teachers she was indeed a master.
To her cousin Mrs. Allison Duncan, of Mayne Island and Vancouver, and to her cousins in Quebec and Ontario the members of the Senate express their sympathy.
Sally Creighton, who died on September 11, 1982, was the granddaughter of Denis Murphy, a Gold Rush days pioneer of British Columbia, and the daughter of the late Mr. Justice Denis Murphy, the first native-born British Columbian to be appointed to the Supreme Court of this province. She was born in Ashcroft in 1903 and educated in Vancouver, graduating from UBC in 1923 with First Class Honours in English and History. She also took part in the Great Trek of 1922, and became a contributing writer of prose and verse, and later a Features Editor, for the student paper the Ubyssey.
Following graduate work leading to an M.A. degree in 1924 at the University a Toronto, she taught in the English Department at UBC and later at the University a Toronto, where she married John Creighton in 1927. She and her husband taught together for a year at Bennington College in Vermont, coming to Vancouver in 1938 when John Creighton was appointed to the English Department at UBC. The post-war increase in enrolment saw her teaching again. At the same time she began the writing of radio scripts and broadcasting of book reviews which pointed the way to a second career when she retired from teaching in 1949, a career that later no doubt helped her to bear the loss when John Creighton died in 1977.
In the years that followed retirement from teaching Sally Creighton not only served nine years on the Senate of UBC and a term on the Board of Governors, she also steadily enlarged her activities as writer and critic and commentator for both radio and television. Her brilliance in these fields and her skills as an executive led to her becoming president of the B.C. branch of ACTRA, vice-president of its National Council, and the recipient of a life membership presented to her "for distinguished services to the performing arts". Over those years she also contributed to local and national broadcasts over CBC in the field of education, and helped as a volunteer on many charitable organizations such as the Community Chest and Res Cross, receiving the Red Cross Medal in 1946.
Such a record is witness to the creative energy and social concern, the intellectual and imaginative powers, of this remarkable woman. They were evident still in the last years of her life, when in spite of difficulties and discomfort she undertook the editorial work and indexing required to see the book of a Toronto friend through the press. Even more impressive, however, were the qualities of mind and character, the cheerfulness and courage and continuing zest for life, the wit and humour, that saw her through the last year and more of increasing pain and physical weakness. She will be widely missed and long remembered.
To her son Denis and daughter-in-law Joan, and to the members of the large family, the Senate extends its deepest sympathy.
Dean Emeritus George Curtis served Senate as an ex-officio member as Dean of Law from September of 1945 to June of 1971.
Dr. Curtis came to the University of British Columbia from Dalhousie University in 1945 as the founding Dean of the new Faculty of Law. Even though Dr. Curtis retired in 1971, he remained actively involved with students, faculty and alumni in the Faculty of Law. After studying law at the University of Saskatchewan, Dr. Curtis studied at Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, receiving two graduate degrees from Oxford. In his professional capacity, Dr. Curtis helped to draft the constitutions of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada and the Council of Canadian Law Deans. On an international level, Dr. Curtis represented Canada at four Commonwealth Education Conferences and was an advisor to the Canadian government and its representative at two United Nations conferences on the law of the sea. In addition to having received many honorary degrees from Canadian Universities, Dr. Curtis was the first recipient of the Law Society of British Columbia Award in 1986 and was named to the Order of British Columbia in 1995 and to the Order of Canada in 2004.
Back to Senate Tribute Index