After completing her studies at UBC, Beverly Field taught in the Department of Chemistry for six years. Her life-long passion for education, however, truly came to fruition in her exceptional service to the University as president of the Alumni Association and as a member of both the Senate and the Board of Governors.
Over two terms on the Senate from 1972 to 1978, she was instrumental in persuading the provincial government to amend the University Act to increase student representation in the Senate. She served on the Senate Curriculum Committee and also volunteered with other campus functions such as the Cecil H. and Ida Green Visiting Professorships Program and the Walter Koerner Master Teaching Awards.
Beyond UBC, there are countless beneficiaries of her 71 years of public service. She had a long-standing commitment with the Junior League of Vancouver, an organization she initially became involved with in 1952. Other organizations to have benefited from her enthusiastic engagement include the Vancouver Foundation, the Vancouver Art Gallery, where she was a docent under the direction of Doris Shadbolt, the Vancouver Aquarium, the YWCA, the Vancouver Museum, the United Way, and the BC Medical Foundation Board. Beverly was also a life member of the University Women's Club, West Vancouver. Her many awards and recognitions include the Elsje Armstrong Award for Volunteerism in 1985, the United Way Volunteer Recognition Award in 1990, and the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal for service in 2002.
John Norison Finlayson, Dean Emeritus of Applied Science, died Tuesday, Septembex 21, 1971 at the age of 91 after a brief illness.
Born in Nova Scotia, he took his Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Science at McGill. After serving as a civil engineer for the Canadian Northern Railway from 1910 to 1913, in which capacity he designed nineteen bridges from Vancouver to Kamloops, he became Professor of Civil Engineering at Dalhousie University where he stayed until 1919. He then accepted a Professorship at the University of Manitoba and served there until invited to become Dean of the Faculty of Applied Science at The University of British Columbia in 1936. A leader of that Faculty, he maintained.and enhanced its already enviable reputation and was chiefly responsible for the planning of its new home, the present Engineering Building, which opened in 1950. That opening coincided with his retirement, when the University saluted his academic and professional distinction by bestowing upon him the degree Doctor of Science, honoris causa. He had already been similarly honoured by the Universities of Manitoba and Laval.
Dean Finlayson may justly be called one of the builders of the University. In academic affairs he was deeply respected for his progressive ideas and his .sound administrative sense; professionally, his reputation extended from sea to sea.
The University pays taibute to a long and useful career in the service of Canadian education and engineering.
Dean Finlayson is survived by his wife, a son (John Norison Finlayson), and a daughter (Mrs. W.J. McMaster), to whom the sympathies of the academic and engineering communities are extended.
James Foulks received his BA from Rice University and his Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University. He served in World War II and was engaged in experiments involving high altitude physiological research. This stimulated his interest in Medicine and he completed his M.D. at Columbia University in the late 1940's and began his research career in renal and cardiovascular studies.
James Foulks became the founding Head of the Department of Pharmacology at UBC in 1950. He was one of the chartered members of the Faculty of Medicine. Jim chaired the department for 21 years and retired in 1987. In the 1950's, Jim also was a founding member of the British Columbia Heart Foundation which was one of the first such agencies in Canada developed to support medical research.
Jim served on the UBC Senate in 1957-60, 1964-66, and 1972-75. He also was active in the UBC Faculty Association and served as its President in 1959-60. He had a strong social conscience. He was active in the Canadian Association of University Teachers and served as Chairman of its Appeals Committee in 1974, and was President for 2 years from 1981-82.
James Foulks was a gentleman, a scholar, and a thoughtful colleague. He served UBC with distinction.
One of the most valuable resources upon which universities depend is the individual and collective support of their alumni. In the late Harry Franklin, The University of British Columbia found a source of loyalty rarely equalled.
Harry Franklin attended this university from 1946 until 1949, graduating with a degree in economics. From his undergraduate years until the day of his death, his energetic support of his Alma Mater never wavered. He spared no effort or begrudged any time in rallying the voice of the wider community on behalf of the university.
As an undergraduate, Harry Franklin was an outstanding athlete and his interest in sports and recreation, particularly for youth, continued throughout his life. He devoted many hours to the coaching and administration of basketball, his favourite sport.
After graduation he became involved with the Alumni Association, first as a volunteer in his capacity as chairman of fund raising and home coming activities. Later, in 1972, Mr. Franklin accepted the position as Executive Director of the Association.
Harry Franklin served on the Senate from his appointment in 1979 to the time of his sudden death in January 1986. He entered into the activities of Senate with the same enthusiasm which characterized his efforts in so many fields. He became a passionate advocate of those values which he had long supported.
To his sons, Bill and Harry, and to other members of his family, the Senate of the University extends its deepest sympathy.
Walter Gage began his career at The University of British Columbia when he entered as a student in 1921. With his Bachelor's degree, and a year later a Master's degree, he went to teach his subject, Mathematics, at Victoria College in 1927. Six years later he returned to U.B.C. as Assistant Professor and over the years assumed increasingly heavy administrative responsibilities, without foregoing that part of university life that for him was the greatest pleasure and reward - his undergraduate classes.
He first joined the Senate as the representative of Arts and Science in 1943. He remained on Senate as a faculty representative, then as Dean of Administrative and Inter-faculty Affairs and later as Dean of Inter-faculty and Student Affairs. He assumed the Chair of Senate, first as Deputy President, then as Acting President and as President in 1969. With his resignation from the presidency in 1975 he completed thirty-two years on the University's academic governing body.
Throughout his life as teacher and administrator he gave his energies completely to the University and the students who come to it. Brilliant and popular in the classroom, Walter Gage was the understandable choice for the Master Teacher's Award when it was instituted in 1968. Indeed, generations of students learned a great deal more than mathematics from him. By his example of hard work, dedication, generosity and concern for others, he provided a model for living which was carried forward into the community by an Alumni of which he was immensely proud. Those same students recognized their debt to a friend who for them epitomized the University, and in 1953 Walter Gage received the Great Trekker Award. The University itself honoured him with a Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa, in 1958, and in 1971 he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada.
In over fifty years of service, no aspect of the University's life escaped the influence of Walter Gage's wisdom. His winsome personality succeeded in preserving for U.B.C. through a period of remarkable growth a sense of community to which students, faculty and staff felt they belonged. With his death, our loss is profound, but the lives of all who have been at the University are the richer for him having been among us.
The Senate expresses its deep sympathy to his mother, Mrs. Ann Gage and to his sister, Mrs. Elsie Harvey.
Widely regarded as one of Canada's most distinguished academic physicians, Dr. William Gibson had a life-long love of all aspects of medicine. After completing his medical studies at McGill University and a doctorate at Oxford University, he returned to UBC in 1950 as a researcher and clinical Associate Professor. Soon after, he was named Director of the Kinsmen Laboratory for Neurological Science. Dr. Gibson served as the President of the UBC Alumni Association Board and the Faculty Association, was the former Assistant to the President of UBC on University Development and a lifetime friend of the University.
From 1960 to 1978, he served as a professor and Head of the History of Medicine and Science Department. During his 18 years of service to the Senate, Dr. Gibson represented both the Faculties of Graduate Studies and Medicine.
Dr. William Gibson was a key figure in the development of the Faculty of Medicine at UBC and the establishment of the Woodward Biomedical Library, considered by him to be one of his proudest achievements. He also played an important role in establishing both Green College at UBC and Green College (now Green Templeton College) in the University of Oxford.
Outside of the university community, he mobilized support for the construction of the Stanley Park seawall and the Van Dusen Botanical Gardens. He planted a seedling in the courtyard of Victoria's Royal Jubilee Hospital that came from the plane tree under which Hippocrates taught his medical students on the isle of Cos in Greece. During the second world war, Dr. Gibson served in the Royal Canadian Air Force, and afterward, was named RCAF Deputy Director of Medical Research in the clinical investigations unit where he was responsible for the physiological training of Canadian air crews.
Amongst his many achievements and awards are a BC Centennial Medal granted in 1967 and an honorary Doctorate of Science, conferred by the University in 1978. Dr. Gibson was also the recipient of the Queen's Jubilee Medal and was named to the Order of Canada in 2002.
Penny Gouldstone was born in Lancashire and educated at Leigh Grammar School and The University of Manchester. She immigrated to Canada in 1950 and initially taught high school in Vancouver and Powell River. In 1959, she began a career at UBC in Art Education and in 1973 she was elected chair of that department. Penny served on the UBC Senate from 1978-81 as a representative of the Faculty of Education. She retired in 1984 and became active as an Associate of the UBC Botanical Gardens and a member of the Davidson Club. Her role as Secretary in the Davidson Club was her greatest contribution to the Botanical Gardens. She recruited supporters, donors and volunteers for the Friends of the Garden with enthusiasm and devotion.
Her special creative interests in art were in the development of crafts, particularly textiles. She received national recognition for her creative efforts and had them exhibited in the National Art Gallery of Canada, the Canadian Pavilion at Expo `67, and numerous galleries across the country.
She was a member of the Board of Directors of the Community Arts Council of Vancouver and a Trustee of the Vancouver Art Gallery. Penny was given honorary life membership in the BC Art Teachers Association and the Canadian Society for Education through Art. In 1990, she received a 75th Anniversary Medal from UBC and was recognized as an individual who had "contributed in a unique and extraordinary way over the past 25 years to make UBC an outstanding public institution." She was a respected and popular member of the faculty and she will be missed by her colleagues and her students.
The death of an outstanding man at the height of his powers may call forth admiring testimony to the brilliance of his achievements, or it may call forth a warm eulogy on his qualities of mind and character. On occasion, such testimony and such eulogy combine, in a widespread recognition of the elements of greatness. Such an occasion was the death of Albert Edward Grauer, on July 28, 1961, at the age of fifty-five.
The mature balance of forces seen in him was early forecast in the award of a Rhodes Scholarship, with its traditional fourfold stress on academic distinction, athletic prowess, good character, and the promise of leadership. Fulfillment came as expected, and came quickly. As the young professor and Head of the Social Science Department at the University of Toronto, Dal Grauer acquired the knowledge and the prestige that made him a logical choice to assist the work of the Bank of Canada and of the Rowell-Sirois Commission.
Appointed Secretary of the British Columbia Electric Company in 1939, he rose rapidly to become President, yet the far-reaching programmes of expansion to which he applied his great gifts of organization and administration did not prevent him from serving his community as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Vancouver General Hospital and as President of the Vancouver Symphony Society, and his country as a member of the Gordon Commission.
Elected Chancellor of his own University in 1957, and thereby bringing to that office the rare and happy blend of a distinguished academic career and a subsequent broad experience of the world of men and affairs, he had his own vision of excellence for the University and strove to help it meet the challenges of its time. For his vision and his efforts we honour him. His death is a grievous loss to the University of British Columbia as well as to the people of the province as a whole.
The list of a man's achievements pays tribute to his abilities. Even more striking, and more moving, is the universal witness to his qualities of character. Imagination, sensitivity, modesty, dignity and courtesy - these are the words that have seemed inevitable in their fitness, and have been unanimous in their choice. The imagination he brought to his business affairs helped him plan well for the economic development of the province, and equally fostered its social and cultural growth. His modesty and sensitivity helped men accept and support the boldness of his imagination. Dignity and courtesy were but two sides of a humane belief in the worth of the individual man and found expression in his family life and in personal friendship as well as in the meeting of minds upon complex problems. These virtues are those of the truly gentle man. To find them so exemplified is to re-affirm ideals that the human spirit has cherished. Mingled with regret at the untimely death of Dal Grauer is a grateful awareness that the mind and character of such a man offer, to all who knew or met him, support for faith in the potential of human nature.
Edward Greathed served proudly as a UBC Convocation Senator from 1999 to 2004, contributing regularly at the meetings of Senate and its committees including Student Awards, Curriculum, Academic Policy, Liaison with Post-Secondary Institutions and the Tributes Committee. He also served on the Board of Directors of the UBC Alumni Association and was a reader at the Crane Resource Centre.
Ed graduated from UBC in 1958 with a Bachelor of Arts (Combined Honours), majoring in International Relations. He went on to Columbia University, where he received a Master of International Affairs.
Ed spent many successful years as a public servant with the Government of Ontario, where he specialized in the practice of intergovernmental affairs for several ministries. He received awards for his work over many years as a member of the Ontario team that contributed to the eventual patriation of the Canadian Constitution. Upon retirement in 1997, he returned to his hometown of Vancouver, where in addition to his services to the University, Ed was the Rector's Warden of St. Helen's Anglican Church in Point Grey.
One of Canada's most distinguished statesmen, Howard Charles Green, died on June 26, 1989 at the age of ninety-three.
Mr. Green was born and raised in Kaslo, British Columbia. He later graduated from the University of Toronto in 1915 and from Osgoode Hall in 1920. After being called to the bar in 1922, he practiced law in Vancouver until his election to the House of Commons in 1935. He was subsequently elected seven times as Member for Vancouver South and later Vancouver Quadra.
Howard Green's service to his country began in World War One, when, from 1915 to 1918, he fought overseas with the 54th Kootenay Batallion. He was mentioned in Despatches and discharged as a Staff Captain in 1919.
As a Cabinet Minister in the Conservative Administration, Howard Green held the portfolios of Public Works, Defence Production, and Secretary of State for External Affairs from 1957 until 1963.
Mr. Green was widely respected and admired for his deep commitment to the principles which guided his life. His decisions were marked with firmness and courage. He represented Canada with firmness and dignity earning wide respect from the international community.
Howard Green's achievements were recognized by the university with the award of an honorary LL.D. in 1960. He later served on the University Senate from 1966 to 1969.
With the passing of Howard Charles Green, Canada has lost one of its most outstanding citizens. He played many roles, as a soldier, a lawyer, a statesman and a gentle compassionate human being. Rarely has one person given more to his country.
To his surviving family the Senate of The University of British Columbia extends its deepest sympathy.
With the passing of Henry Gunning this university has lost another link with its past, for Gunning was one of the last of the Fairview graduates and one whose life was intricately entwined with the university he loved. Born in Northern Ireland in 1901, Henry Gunning moved to Vancouver in 1907, where his father established a hardware business. After completing high school in South Vancouver, he enrolled at UBC in 1918 and graduated with a B.A.Sc. in Geology in 1923. While at university he represented in rugby and soccer, and retained an enthusiastic interest in these sports for the remainder of his life.
After summer work as a contract miner in Stewart, B.C., Dr. Gunning continued his education at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, earning his Ph.D. in 1927.
After graduation he began a long and brilliant career with the Geological Survey of Canada.
It is difficult to imagine the challenge which he and his colleagues faced while conducting this survey.
In the words of his son...
"They were on their own in a land of rain forests, grizzly bears, and precipitous terrain, with little or no infrastructure or population. Their achievements in mapping these wild and rugged territories fill one with humility when contrasted with our comfortable circumstances of today".
In 1939, Dr. Gunning began a distinguished academic career at this university as a teacher, researcher, Head of the Department of Geology and Geography, and from 1953 to 1959, as Dean of the Faculty of Applied Science.
At the time of his retirement a statement read in Senate testified to his contribution to academic life in the following words...
"As a teacher, his deep interest in his students, together with an unusual ability to communicate and inspire, will be remembered with affection and respect by hundreds of geologists who studied under him.
As an administrator, his patience and common sense have been an outstanding asset to the University. His concern that professional men and women shall have breadth of learning in addition to professional competence is in the finest academic tradition".
As Dean, Dr. Gunning took tremendous pride in the achievement of his colleagues and his students. Again, his son commented on one aspect of this quality in these words...
"I'll never forget his ill-hidden pride in admonishing his students over their successful (undetected) capture of the bell at Royal Roads in Victoria and its C.O.D. shipment to R.M.C. in Kingston, Ontario.
He made himself available to any student who could get past his formidable secretary, and I have heard on countless occasions, from students that made it through, expressions of appreciation for his help and encouragement in dealing with their special concerns".
In 1959, Dr. Gunning conducted research in Rhodesia and, after returning to Vancouver, entered private consulting and was also instrumental in establishing the engineering program at the British Columbia Institute of Technology.
In 1956 he was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Science Degree at the UBC Spring Convocation. He was also made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
In retirement, Dr. Gunning's energies were directed into charitable activities, his magnificent garden, the pursuit of salmon off North Pender Island, and to his large and much loved family.
Henry Gunning lived a long and most remarkable life. He found fulfilment in his work, from a deep and meaningful involvement with his church, and by cherishing his lifelong contact with the university which gave him so much and to which he gave so much in return.
Henry Gunning embodied the phrase "a scholar and a gentleman". To his wife, Molly, and his surviving family, the Senate of this university extends its deepest sympathy.
Back to Senate Tributes Index