Elizabeth Kenny McCann was born in Vancouver in 1917. From the age of 16, when she first began her training as a nurse, she devoted her life to the study of her chosen field and the professional development of generations of health care practitioners who followed her. But Beth McCann was more than a faculty member in the School of Nursing, despite her long association. She had a special relationship with students who, in turn, respected her advice and sensed her timeless devotion to their needs.
As the recipient of a Kellogg Fellowship in 1952, Beth McCann undertook graduate study which helped her contribute to her reputation as a leading force in the revision of nursing education in this province.
She was Acting Director of the School from 1967 to 1971 and served two terms on the University Senate.
There were few professional associations in which Beth McCann failed to play a leading role. Her responsibilities included the Presidency of Nurse Administrators Association and the Vancouver Chapter of the Registered Nurses Association of British Columbia.
Beth McCann also offered her time willingly to numerous activities on the University campus. At graduation ceremonies, on the Board of the Faculty Club, and on the Alumni Association, her involvement was often sought and always respected.
On her retirement, Beth McCann continued to devote her time to building an ongoing relationship with fellow professionals through her leadership in Alumni organizations of the School of Nursing.
Loved by her students, respected by her colleagues and valued by her friends, Beth McCann embodied all the best qualities of a warm and humane university teacher.
To her surviving family the Senate of this University extends its deepest sympathy.
Helen McCrae was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1907 and moved to Collingwood, Ontario in 1916. She was educated in Victoria College at The University of Toronto and received a B.A. in 1929. She taught school in Ontario until 1942 when she moved to Vancouver and took a job in the Vancouver Shipyards during WWII. Following the war she became interested in Social Work and enrolled as a mature student at UBC in the Master of Social Work Program. She received her MSW in 1949 and was appointed as an instructor in 1950. Helen also was Director of Fieldwork in the School of Social Work and then she was appointed as an Assistant Professor in 1953. In 1959 she was promoted to Professor and also appointed as Dean of Women. She served in these two capacities until her retirement in 1973. She was a member of the UBC Senate from 1959-1973 as Dean of Women and then served an additional term from 1975-78 as Convocation Senator.
As Dean of Women, she was responsible for assigning female students to residences and was deeply involved in the planning of Place Vanier and Totem Residences. She initiated academic counselling for female students and assisted students' wives with interest groups and day care facilities at Acadia Camp. She also assigned a member of her staff to work out of the new Student Union Building in a service called "Speak Easy" which still exists today.
In her years of retirement, she remained closely connected to UBC and the School of Social Work. She was also active in the University Women's Club, Soroptimist Club, Brock House, YWCA, the Vancouver Foundation, and the Kerrisdale Centre for Seniors. She was recognized by the UBC Alumni Association with the Alumni Award of Distinction in 1977. For her work with the Soroptimist Club, she received the Frances E. Wagner Woman of Achievement Award in 1988. Helen was a strong, devoted, passionate spiritual and intellectual person and she will be remembered as a valued friend by colleagues, students, family and all who knew her.
On October 14, 1979, this University lost one of its most beloved members when Jack McCreary died suddenly at his home in Gibsons, B.C. In a lifetime spanning nearly 70 years, the contributions that he made to health care, education and human welfare were prodigious.
Born in 1910 in Eganville in the Upper Ottawa Valley, he graduated from the University of Toronto in 1934 with the degree Doctor of Medicine before undertaking an internship and residencies in Medicine, Pathology and Paediatrics at Toronto's General and Sick Children's Hospitals. He spent two years as a Milbank Research Fellow at Harvard.
During World War II he served with distinction as an officer in the Medical Branch of the R.C.A.F. In 1944 he was seconded to Supreme Headquarters, Allied Expeditionary Force in Europe to conduct a clinical survey of children in the concentration camps and occupied areas of Europe. For this work he was made an officer of The Royal Orange Order of Nassau by the Government of the Netherlands.
Returning to civilian life in 1945 he devoted himself to a rapidly growing practice of paediatrics in the City of Toronto.
In 1951 he accepted an invitation to come to The University of British Columbia as Professor and Head of the Department of Paediatrics and Paediatrician-in-Chief of the Vancouver General Hospitails Health Centre for Children.
In 1959 he became Dean of Medicine, a position he held until 1972. During this period he was a member of Senate. As Dean he became the creator of and driving force behind the concept of the Health Sciences Centre. He maintained that members of the health professions who worked together as a team throughout their professional careers should spend at least a portion of their preparatory educational experience in a co-ordinated training program, that the rate of obsolescence of current knowledge demanded the introduction of continuing education programs, and that university health science centres should explore more efficient methods of providing health care services to a larger proportion of the population. That some of these ideas swept across the country was due primarily to his vision and energy. He was an extremely popular lecturer and a superb teacher, loved and respected by his colleagues, students and the public in general. In his roles as Professor and Dean he was instrumental in building a strong academic Department of Paediatrics and in the recruitment of top-notch faculty members for the various departments of the Medical Faculty.
His leadership in the realm of medical education was not confined to his own community and university. He served with distinction as President of the Association of Canadian Medical Colleges and on two Federal royal commissions, and as Director or Trustee of a host of other institutions and foundations of the community provincial and national levels.
His many contributions did not go unrecognized and he was the recipient of numerous honours and awards. He received the Centennial Medal Award of the Government of Canada and he was honoured as Knight of Grace of the Order of St. John and as an officer of the Order of Canada.
He was granted honorary D.Sc. degrees by Memorial University and The University of British Columbia and an honorary LL.D. by the University of Toronto. He was a truly extraordinary man, characterized by an extraordinary unshakable optimism. At times he encountered frustration and opposition but he never gave in to obstacles that might seem insurmountable to others. He had many interests in life, including a great love of nature and the outdoors. He was a vital, enthusiastic and happy man. If he ever felt sad or depressed, he rarely, if ever, showed it.
The Health Sciences Centre of our university will stand as one of his monuments. The affection and esteem of his colleagues, his former students and patients will be another enduring memorial.
Senate extends to his wife Dorothy, to his son James and other members of the family, its deepest sympathy.
With the death of W. R. (Mickey) McDougall on December 24, 1982, at the age of 86, the Province has lost a major contributor to education and community activities.
Born in Milton, Ontario, he came to Vancouver as a young boy, served in France with the Canadian Artillery during the First World War, and graduated from The University of British Columbia in 1921. For most of his teaching career he was associated with North Vancouver High School, of which he was Principal from 1935 until he retired in 1961.
In 1946 Mr. McDougall received the Fergusson Memorial Award of the B.C. Teachers' Federation, as the Province's most outstanding teacher.
Throughout his colourful career, Mr. McDougall was affiliated with many organizations and activities concerned with young people in the community. He is particularly remembered for his work in establishing the Junior Red Cross Society in the schools, and for furthering the work of the Red Cross in the community. He was an Honorary Member of the Canadian Red Cross Society. He held a wide range of offices in community organizations: President of the North Vancouver Memorial Community Centre; President of the North Vancouver Kiwanis Club; Sponsor of the 103 Air Cadet Squadron; President of the Navy League of Canada in North Vancouver; Chairman of the first Senior Citizens' Association of North Vancouver; President of the B.C. Teachers' Federation (of which he was made a life member).
Mr. McDougall was an elected member of the Senate of The University of British Columbia from 1944 to 1954, representing the High School Teachers of the Province.
The City and District of North Vancouver named "The Mickey McDougall Gymnasium" in his honour, and the Kiwanis Foundation established a Student Scholarship Fund in his memory.
To his wife, Jessie (nee Buckerfield), and the families of the two children, E.B. McDougall of Ottawa and Mrs. Malcolm A. Macdonald of North Vancouver, Senate expresses its deepest sympathy.
Charles A. McDowell was born in Northern Ireland and educated at Queen's University of Belfast. He received his Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral degrees in Science from Queen's University.
During the Second World War he served as a Gas and Bomb Identification Officer in the UK Civil Defence from 1942-45. His academic career began in 1946 at the University of Liverpool as a member of the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Science.
Dr. McDowell was appointed Professor and Head of the Department of Chemistry at UBC in 1955 and served in that capacity until 1981. UBC's Department of Chemistry flourished under his guidance into one of the largest and most respected departments in North America. His vision, and his greatest achievement, was to create a vital, modern department characterized by excellence in both teaching and research. He realized in particular that the greatness of a university is set by its research achievements.
Charles McDowell was internationally recognized for his own achievements in research in Physical Chemistry. He was also recognized as an academic administrator whose wisdom was widely respected throughout Canada and abroad. He held many memberships and received many honours for his academic achievements. These included: Fellowships in The Royal Institute of Chemistry (UK), The Royal Society of Canada, The American Institute of Physics and a Research Fellowship from the Guggenheim Foundation. He was awarded the Chemical Institute of Canada Medal in 1969 and served as President of that body in 1978-79.
He was highly regarded as a faculty member at UBC and served on a number of university committees. He was a long-time member of Senate from 1966-1981 and an elected member of faculty to the Board of Governors in 1977-78. Dr. McDowell was designated as "University Professor" in 1981 at UBC in recognition of his contributions as a distinguished scholar. In 1984, he received an Honorary Degree (DSc.) from UBC and in 1993 he was named an Officer of the Order of Canada.
Charles McDowell was admired and respected for his analytical ability, his critical judgement, his devotion to high standards and his practical common sense. He overcame the effects of a serious case of Guillain-Barr Syndrome, which left him confined to a wheelchair in 1979. Through his unconquerable spirit and the support of his wife, Christine, his family and colleagues he returned to resume his research career and was active as a scholar until shortly before his death.
He will be remembered for his leadership, commitment and dedication to this university and his research discipline. The Charles A. McDowell Award named in his honour recognizes annually a UBC faculty member that has demonstrated outstanding research capability before the age of 40. He was always present to award the medal to the recipient and stress the importance of excellence in research as the basis for establishing and judging a university's greatness.
Chancellor emeritus Allan McGavin died on December 8, 1982 at the age of 71 and his passing is a great loss to the community and the University.
Allan McGavin was born in Darvel, Scotland in 1911 and came to Canada with his family in 1913, settling in Edmonton, where the McGavin bakery firm was founded. He was educated in Alberta, in Upper Canada College in Toronto, at San Diego Army and Navy Academy and at Ontario Agricultural College.
He joined the Canadian army artillery in 1939 at the outbreak of the war, and served actively in the Reserve from that time until 1952 when he retired as Lieutenant Colonel commanding the 43rd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment in Vancouver.
Allan McGavin grew up in the bakery business, was familiar with every phase of it and become President of the family company in 1946. He was also a Director of many companies, including the Bank of Nova Scotia, Trans Mountain Pipeline, British Columbia Forest Products Limited, and Hudson's Bay Company.
Allan McGcivin had an outstanding record of community service. He was well known for his strong support of amateur athletics, acting as Vice-President of the Canadian Olympic Association, Chairman of the Pan-American Games Committee for Canada and as an organiser of the British Empire Games of 1954. He was a member of the National Fitness Council of Canada, Chairman of the 1963 United Appeal and of the Vancouver Centennial Committee and a director for many other public spirited enterprises.
Members of Senate and the University community at large are particularly aware of the major contribution of Allan McGavin as a member of the Board of Governors from 1966 to 1969, as Chancellor from 1969 to 1972, and as Chairman of the Board of Governors from 1972 to 1974. He also played a major role from 1964 onward, as co-chairman of the Three Universities Capital Fund. In the last two years he had been active in raising funds for a chair of geriatrics in the Faculty of Medicine.
When Allan McGavin was awarded the degree of Doctor of Laws (honoris causa) his citation read in part "No man has done more for the University, its Faculty and its students, its integrity and its reputation." These words are now a fitting memorial for a great man and a great friend of the University.
To his wife Beatrice, sons Gerald and Brian and their families, the University community expresses its deepest sympathy.
In Vancouver, on Saturday, July 2nd, the death occurred of The Honourable George Albert McGuire, D.D.S., a member of Senate in the early days of the University and prominent for many years in the public life of British Columbia.
Dr. McGuire was born at Mount Forest, Ontario, on April 7th, 1871. A graduate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore, U.S.A. in 1892, he came in that year to Vancouver where he engaged in the practice of Dentistry until his retirement in 1951. He was a member of the Provincial Dental Council in 1905 and in 1906 was President of the British Columbia Dental Association.
He took an active part in Provincial politics and served two terms as one of Vancouver's five Conservative Members in the Legislature at Victoria, first under Sir Richard McBride and then under the Premiership of the Honourable W.J. Bowser. He succeeded the honourable Henry Esson Young as Provincial Secretary and Minister of Education and, in this capacity, became an ex officio member of the University Senate during the Session 1916-17. Throughout his parliamentary career he was an ardent and active supporter of the cause of Higher Education in the Province.
His wife, Maria Jane, passed away on August 22nd, seven weeks after her husband.
Dr. McGuire is survived by his two daughters, Mrs. W. Keith Leckie of 6238 Marguerite Avenue, Vancouver, and Stella,, wife of Professor Hunter C. Lewis, both well-known graduates of the University of British Columbia, and both members of the English Department.
The Senate records its sense of loss in the death of a former member and distinguished citizen and extends sympathy to the bereaved families of the late Dr. McGuire.
J. Ranton McIntosh, an educator of international stature and a prominent figure in the history of teacher education in British Columbia, passed away in May 1986.
Dr. McIntosh was born in Morden, Manitoba in 1910 and earned his first degrees at the University of Saskatchewan. In 1941 he received his Doctor of Philosophy degree from Columbia University, at that time the predominant institution in North America in the study of educational theory.
After service with the Royal Canadian Air Force, during which he headed the Personnel Selection and Research Division, Ranton McIntosh taught at the Universities of Toronto and Saskatchewan before his appointitent, in 1948, as Professor of Education and Psychology and later Director of the School of Education at U.B.C., succeeding the legendary Max Caireron.
With the creation of the Faculty of Education in 1956, Dr. McIntosh assumed the position of Director of Secondary Education, which he held until 1972. He retired in 1975.
Ranton McIntosh served on the Senate between 1956 and 1969. His wise judgement and thoughtful counsel were sought on many important bodies, including the Ad Hoc Committee on Long Range Objectives in 1969.
Dr. McIntosh left an enviable record of research and publications on educational testing and also edited the Canadian Reading Development series. He devoted most of his professional life to the betterment of teacher education and to the study of human learning. Among his many responsibilities, Ranton McIntosh held the position of Vice-President of the B.C. Branch of the Canadian Mental Health Association.
To his surviving relatives the Senate of The University of British Columbia extends its deepest sympathy.
The death occurred on April 8, 1964, of Malcolm Murray MacIntyre, Professor of Law at the University of British Columbia since 1948. He was a member of the Senate from 1951 to 1957, and for the period from September, 1962 to June, 1963.
Born in Sussex, New Brunswick, in 1904, Dr. MacIntyre took his B.A. degree at Mount Allison University in 1925. and his LL.B. degree at Harvard in 1928. He continued at the Harvard Law School as holder of a Faculty Scholarship, taking his Master of Laws degree in 1930. Appointed Assistant Professor of Law at the University of Alberta, he returned after his promotion to Associate Professor, to the Harvard Law School as Fairchild Research Fellow,, and took the degree of Doctor of Juridical Science in 1940. He was full Professor, and later Dean of Law, at Alberta until 1945, practised law in Sackville until 1948, and joined the staff of the University of British Colinnbia in that year.
He was a member of the New Brunswick Bar from 1944. and of the British Columbia Bar from 1960.
Dr. MacIntyre's contribution to scholarship in his field was notable. He was the founder, and for ten years the Faculty Editor, of the Alberta Law Quarterly, and created a new department in the pages of The Advocate, the journal of the Vancouver Bar Association. Over the span of his active career, he wrote ten articles, seven critiques of cases, and twenty book reviews, for the Alberta Law Quarterly, the Canadian Bar Review, and the University of Toronto Law Journal. Though his special interest in the Law of Torts is evident in a number of titles, the bent of his mind, described by a colleague as "authoritative and scholarly but never narrowly legalistic", is suggested in such a title is "The Rationale of Separate National Sovereignty". That this breadth did not sacrifice depth is indicated by his appointment as Chairman to the Canadian Bar Association's Committee on Noteworthy Changes in Statute of Law of Canada.
The warm tributes to Professor MacIntyre as a teacher and as a man suggest further that to the terms scholar and humanist we may add the term humanitarian. Known to us all as "Mac", he was a most genial colleague on committees, and to his students a kindly man as well as an inspiring teacher. He gave of his best, and he expected their best; he was liberal of his time, and generous in allowing another chance. Yet the supreme tribute we must pay is to that stoical courage that carried him through these last years of wasting and painful illness, working and lecturing until his collapse a few days before his death at the end of the term just past. Such fortitude shows an element of greatness in mind and character. That quality in Professor MacIntyre his fellow members of the Senate, sharing with his colleagues and students their sense of loss of the man and the teacher, are proud to recognize and to honour.
With the passing of Norman MacKenzie this university has lost one of the last of the great educators and visionaries whose names have become synonymous with The University of British Columbia.
"Larry" MacKenzie, as he was affectionately known to faculty and students, became the third President of the University. He served from 1944 to 1962, years in which U.B.C. witnessed phenomenal growth in its enrolment, in its physical plant, and, above all, in the complexity of its operation. President MacKenzie inherited a small provincial university; he passed on to his successor an institution of higher learning equal to any in this nation.
In a period when Canada was singularly fortunate in the quality of its leaders in higher education, Norman MacKenzie stood as one of the greatest. His unshaken belief in access to advanced learning for all who could benefit was reflected in his tireless efforts to persuade governments at every level to invest in the future by placing education at the apex of public policy. Dr. MacKenzie saw Canada's youth as its most precious asset and its greatest hope for the future.
As just one illustration of his remarkable foresight, Dr. MacKenzie's influential voice in the recommendations of the (Massey) Royal Commission on National Development of the Arts, Letters and Sciences in 1951 helped to ensure for Canada a system of colleges and universities during the period when its need was never greater.
In his long and productive life, Norman MacKenzie served his country in ways rarely equalled - he was a soldier, decorated in action; a student and a teacher of the law; an educator of unbounded influence; a builder of ideals as well as material resources; a member of the Senate of Canada; - and a warm and compassionate human being. He left a legacy to his country which will be ever enshrined in its history.
Dr. MacKenzie chaired this body for almost two decades. His tenure was noted for his wisdom, his dignity, and his respect for all who took part in its deliberations. Few men were more loved - few will be longer remembered.
To his wife, Margaret, his children and their families, the Senate of this University extends its deepest sympathy.
Donald Leslie MacLaurin died on July 19, 1958, at the age of 77. He was a graduate in Arts of MeMaster and held a Ph.D. degree from Washington University. He served the Province of British Columbia during the whole of his active life, - from 1905 to his retirement in 1946 - as teacher, as Inspector of Schools, as Principal of the Victoria Normal School and as Assistant Superintendent with the Department of Education.
He was a member of the Senate of the University during the 17 years in which he was Principal of the Normal School in Victoria., i.e. from 1915 to 1932. As the first principal of this teacher-training school he established a lasting reputation as a master-teacher and his fine influence on the school's life was evident throughout all the years of its history. In 1935 he was appointed Chairman of the Central Revision Committee of the Department of Education which made a major revision of the entire curriculum of the elementary and secondary schools. He was a Founder Member of Convocation.
The thesis which Dr. MacLaurin prepared for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy is an important contribution to the history of education in the Province. The thesis is entitled "The History of Education in the Crown Colonies of Vancouver Island and British Colunbia and in the Province of British Columbia."
The sympathy of members of Senate is extended to his widow and the members of his family.
Dr. Hector John MacLeod, Dean Emeritus of the Faculty of Applied Science, died on November 30th, 1978, at the age of 91.
Born in Prince Edward Island, Dr. MacLeod started his academic career impressively by winning the British Association Medal upon graduating from McGill University in 1914. Further students led to an A.M. and Ph.D. from Harvard in 1921.
He served with distinction and dedication in two wars; first as Captain and Major in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces in France and Belgium during World War I. Following this he commanded the 196th Western Universities Battalion. In World War II he received the Order of the British Empire for his work on ship protection against magnetic mines for the National Research Council.
Dr. MacLeod founded the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Alberta, where he was Professor and Head of the Department from 1924 to 1936. At that time he joined The University of British Columbia faculty as Head of the combined Departments of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. He became Dean of the Faculty of Applied Science in 1950.
Highly respected by colleagues and students, he possessed a delightful sense of humour; he was known affectionately around the Faculty as "Doc". He managed to combine a distinguished academic career with an extraordinary interest in undergraduate problems and activities that won him many student friends. He was twice Honorary President of the Graduating Class.
For distinguished work in the field of electrical communications he was awarded a Fellowship in the American Institute of Electrical Engineers in 1946. In 1973 he became the fourth recipient of the McNaughton Medal, given by the Canadian Region of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers for his "pioneering achievement in Electrical Engineering education in Western Canada".
Dr. MacLeod served on the University Senate as a representative of the Faculty of Applied Science from 1942 to 1948, as a representative of the Faculty of Graduate Studies from 1949 to 1950, and as Dean of Applied Science from 1950 until his retirement in 1953.
The University conferred on him the Honorary Degree Doctor of Science in 1956. The Electrical Engineering building bears his name.
Senate extends to Mrs. MacLeod and members of his family its deepest sympathy at his passing.
Ian Seton McNairn was drowned in a boating accident off Saltspring Island August 20, 1973.
Born in 1919, he graduated from McMaster University in 1941 and later studied at Harvard University and Columbia University and in the museums of Paris and Florence.
He served in the Royal Canadian Navy and after the war he taught at McMaster and Toronto before joining the Department of Fine Arts at The University of British Columbia in 1957. Here he soon mode himself known throughout the community for his indefatigable support of the Fine Arts in their broadest possible connotation.
He became curator of the Fine Arts Gallery on the campus, he occupied the presidency of the Community Arts Council, he was a member of the governing boards of the Arts Club of Vancouver, the Vancouver Art Gallery, and the B.C. Arts Board. An experienced museologist, he worked hard and long to create an appropriate museum at the University. "A museum should be like a pretty girl", he once said, "attractive at all times, well dressed, with a changing wardrobe, smart, intelligent (but not too intelligent), with something worthwhile to say, with changing moods, sensitive to good music and art, and able to live on a limited budget."
From September 1967 to September 1969 he sat in the University's Senate.
He will long be remembered by his students especially, for he was a kindly and understanding teacher who gave generously of his time and guided many along the road that leads to careers in the Fine Arts.
He is survived by his wife and three children, to whom the University expresses its sympathy.
Earle Douglas MacPhee, who passed away on September 25, 1982, was born in the village of Lower Millstream, King's County, New Brunswick in 1894. By the age of 18 he had received a teaching certificate from the Normal School in Fredericton and from that time until 1915 he served as a principal in two different schools in Sackville.
That year, he enrolled in the B.A. programme at Acadia University but shortly afterwards joined the Nova Scotia Highlanders. In 1916 his unit moved overseas. He was wounded at Cambrai in 1918. Subsequently, he was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field.
After his discharge from the service he returned to his studies at the University of Edinburgh. By 1920 he had been awarded both an M.A. and an M.Ed. degree. He returned to Canada and married Jennie Steeves in December of that year. During the next decade he held regular and visiting faculty appointments in psychology departments at Acadia, Alberta, Toronto, Iowa and Chicago.
In 1929 he moved to a career in business and held senior executive positions in both Canada and the United Kingdom until 1950. He was active in wartime production in England during the war years.
In 1950 he returned to a University career as Professor and Director of UBC's School of Commerce. In 1956, he was appointed the first Dean of the new Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration, a position he held until his retirement in 1963. In 1950 he was also made honorary bursar of the University, and in 1960 Dean of Financial and Administrative Affairs. In 1952, along with Senator Don Cameron of Alberta he helped found the Banff School of Advanced Management. In 1957 he served as sole commissioner on the Royal Commission looking into the BC Tree Fruit Industry.
For his contributions to Canadian business and executive education, Dean MacPhee received honorary degrees from the Universities of Alberta, British Columbia, Calgary, Acadia and York as well as professional designations including that of C.A. and C.G.A.
The Executive Conference Centre in the Henry Angus Building carries his name. The citation for the dedication of that space in 1976 included the words:
"As Dean he was truly the founder of those developments in business education at The University of British Columbia that united town and gown."
On November 6, 1981, the Lord Lyon, King of Arms in Edinburgh, Scotland appointed E.D. MacPhee Commander of the MacPhee Clan. Over the past years he had published several works on the clan and traced its members around the world.
To his wife Jennie, sons Ralph and Kenneth, his daughters Mary Root, Peggie Robinson and other members of the family, Senate extends its deepest sympathy.
A scholar and early activist for wildlife conservation, Ian McTaggart-Cowan informed generations of British Columbians about the natural wonders around them.
He began his studies at the University of British Columbia, spending his summers in the field, studying Rocky Mountain fauna in national parks. After graduating in 1932, he began work on a doctorate at the University of California, Berkeley. He then joined the staff of the Provincial Museum (now the Royal B.C. Museum) in Victoria as a biologist, helping to revive the institution through field work and expansion of its collections.
In 1940, he joined the UBC Department of Zoology, becoming department head in 1953. He served as Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies from 1964 until retiring from UBC in 1975. Upon retirement from the University, he served one term as the Chancellor of the University of Victoria.
Dr. McTaggart-Cowan had an extensive list of public service contributions, including seven years with the National Research Council of Canada as the first chairman of an advisory committee on wildlife research. He also served on the Board of Governors of the Arctic Institute of North America and as Chairman of the Canadian Environmental Advisory Council.
An eminent zoologist, he produced hundreds of papers, pamphlets and books. He is recognized as a pioneer in the use of television as a medium to educate the public about conservation. In 1955, he hosted a television show called Fur and Feathers. Filmed live, he taught children about animals while encouraging them to appreciate the natural world.
He later served as host of two other documentary series for CBC television. The Living Sea was shown in British Columbia in 1957 and then nationally in 1962. This was followed by The Web of Life, an 11-part series of half-hour episodes that aired in 1963.
Dr. McTaggart-Cowan was invested as an officer of the Order of Canada in 1971 for his contributions to zoology and as a conservationist and named to the Order of British Columbia in 1991. He was also awarded several honorary degrees, including Doctor of Science from the University of Victoria, Doctor of Laws from the University of Alberta and Simon Fraser University and Doctor of Environmental Studies from the University of Waterloo.
In 2005, the provincial government contributed $500,000 to establish a professorship in his name at the University of Victoria's School of Environmental Studies. His name graces the Cowan Vertebrate Museum on the UBC campus, which boasts 17,000 mammal and 15,200 bird specimens.
Barry Mah, a former student representative on the Senate from the Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration died in tragic circumstances on September 11, 1986.
During his student years, Mr. Mah contributed a great deal to his own Faculty and to student affairs generally at the University. He was an ideal student in many respects in that he both gave and received all of the best which a university experience can provide.
Barry Mah also participated in public affairs as a delegate to the leadership convention of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada and hoped to enter political life sometime after graduation. He ran for election to the Alma Mater Society executive and became actively involved in numerous campus organizations.
Mr. Mah served on the Senate in 1984-85 and met his responsibilities with dedication and enthusiasm.
Barry Mah was an active, energetic, and involved representative of the student body. His promising career was terminated in most tragic circumstances. To his parents and to other members of his family the Senate of this university extends its deepest sympathy.
Professor Ken Mann was born October 2, 1910 in Swift Current, Saskatchewan. He attended the University of Saskatchewan and received his B.Sc. in 1931 and a B.Ed. in 1933. He taught high school science for two years before entering graduate school at the University of Toronto. Dr. Mann earned his M.A. and Ph.D. in Physics in 1936 and 1939, respectively. Following his Ph.D., he was recruited to UBC's Department of Physics by Gordon Shrum. From 1944-45 he was assigned to service with the National Research Council. Here he worked as Design and Production Engineer and lead a team of scientists and technicians that developed the "268" radar set for the Allied Naval Forces. He also served as an advisor to the British Admiralty. In recognition of his wartime contributions, Dr.Mann was awarded the Order of the British Empire in 1946.
He resumed his academic career at UBC in 1946 where he was an enthusiastic teacher and researcher working in nuclear physics. Ken Mann was also an advisor to UBC Presidents, MacKenzie, MacDonald and Gage. He served on the Senate from 1963-1966 as a member at-large. He also served as Acting Head of the Department of Physics when George Volkoff became Dean of Science. Ken Mann retired from UBC in 1976 but continued to serve UBC as a Presidential Advisor on policy matters, and he also served on the B.C. Universities Council. Ken was also an ardent golfer and snooker player and could be found with regularity in the games room of the Faculty Club enjoying a noontime game of snooker and advising on policy matters.
Ken Mann died on August 30, 1996 and he will be remembered as a distinguished Canadian, academic, colleague and friend of UBC. He possessed an abundance of creativity, wit, love for life and an indomitable spirit. He contributed in a significant way to the betterment of UBC and his community.
Dr. Marchak served as Dean of the Faculty of Arts at UBC from 1990 to 1996. Prior to becoming Dean, she was the Head of the Department of Anthropology and Sociology.
Dr. Marchak received a Bachelor of Arts in 1958 and a PhD in 1970, both at UBC, and joined the Faculty of Arts in 1973. As a student, she was editor-in-chief of the Ubyssey newspaper and a secretary to President Norman MacKenzie. As a faculty member, she served as faculty associate with the Institute for Resources and Environment, and as a Distinguished Scholar at the Peter Wall Institute of Advanced Studies.
Dr. Marchak served as President of the Canadian Sociology and Anthropology Association, and on the executive board of numerous Canadian and international associations in the fields of Sociology, Forestry and Ecology. She also served on the editorial boards of various journals, including Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology, Canadian Journal of Sociology, BC Studies, and Current Sociology.
At the University, Dr. Marchak was a member of both the Board of Governors and the Senate. She served on the B.C. Rhodes Scholarship Selection Committee, on the Board of the Open Learning Institute and on the Board of University Hospital.
In 1987 she was elected to Fellowship in the Royal Society of Canada, and served for two years as the Vice-President of Academy II for the Humanities and Social Sciences. She has also served as Chair of the B.C. Buildings Corporation, and on the Forest Appeals Commission.
Dr. Marchak authored numerous articles on political ideology, economic development, resources industries and the social context of ecological issues. Her books include Ideological Perspectives on Canada; In Whose Interest; Green Gold: The Forest Industry in British Columbia; The Integrated Circus: The New Right and the Restructuring of Global Markets; Logging the Globe; Reigns of Terror, and No Easy Fix: Global Responses to International Wars and Crimes Against Humanity. She also co-edited Uncommon Property: The Fishing and Fish Processing Industries in British Columbia.
G. Welton Marquis was born in Walla Walla, Washington, and educated at Whitman College.
After serving with distinction in the United States Army Intelligence in World War II, he returned to the University of Southern California where he completed his doctorate in musicology in 1950. After holding academic positions at Illinois and North Carolina, Welton Marquis was appointed Head of the Department of Music at U.B.C. in 1958, a post which he held for the next fourteen years.
Under his leadership, the Music Department expanded in every aspect of the discipline, developing both a bachelor's and master's degree, the latter being the first in Canada in the performance areas.
Welton Marquis inspired many with his love of music. He conveyed his deep feelings through his speeches and his many publications, including his classical work Twentieth Century Music Idioms. He was truly a pioneer in the founding of the performing arts at this University.
Dr. Marquis was a member of this body from 1964 to 1966.
To his wife, Greta, the Senate of The University of British Columbia extends its deepest sympathy.
Mr. E.G. Matheson was Senate representative of the Faculty of Applied Science in the years 1920-21 and 1922-24; and he had served as Instructor, Assistant Professor, and Associate Professor of Civil Engineering from the University's beginning until his retirement in 1935. His long years of service to the University and to his profession merit the grateful memory which the Senate now records.
With the passing of Dean A. W. Matthews on September 24, this university has lost one more link with its past and one more of a small group of outstanding administrators who built UBC into one of Canada's eminent universities.
"Whit" Matthews, as he was affectionately known by all, was born in Alberta in 1902. After his early education he entered the University of Alberta and graduated with a degree in Pharmacy in 1922. While teaching at his Alma Mater he completed a Ph.D. at the University of Florida in 1941, one of the first Canadians to have earned an advanced degree in this professional field. He continued at the University of Alberta and became Director of the School of Pharmacy, but left to accept a research post in pharmaceutical manufacturing in 1945.
In 1952 he accepted the position of Dean of Pharmacy at UBC and was responsible for the creation of both the four year B.Sc. degree and the M.Sc. degree. He was widely respected by his colleagues and extremely popular with the student body. Although he retired as Dean in 1967, he continued to play a leadership role in his profession as Registrar Treasurer of the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada until his final retirement in 1981.
Dr. Matthews held numerous professional positions, served twice as President of the Canadian Pharmaceutical Association, and was founding Director of the Canadian Foundation for the Advancement of Pharmacy. He received Honorary Degrees from three universities, including The University of British Columbia.
Whit Matthews was an enthusiastic participant in many sports. He won several trophies as a golfer and a curler and also held the position of President of the Royal Canadian Golf Association and a founding Director of both the original Edmonton Eskimos and the B.C. Lions.
He also took a major leadership role in the extra curricular program at this university. Indeed there were few committees which promoted the interests of the student body to which he did not willingly give of his time and energy. He served as President of the Men's Athletic Committee and was later honoured to have a playing field dedicated in his name.
Whit Matthews played many roles. He was an outstanding administrator, a first rate scientist, a competent professional and, above all, a warm and genuine human being. He will be long remembered.
To his wife Adah and his surviving family the Senate of this university extends its deepest sympathy.
Registrar Emeritus Stanley Wade Mathews died September 4, 1958 at the age of 87.
A graduate of Queen's University, where he was gold medallist in Mathematics, he was one of the pioneer group of teachers of Vancouver High School in which he began his teaching career in 1902. As teacher here of Commercial subjects, he laid the foundation of Vancouver's Commercial High Schools.
In 1909 he became Principal of King Edward High School. Ten years later, in 1919. he was appointed Registrar of the University, a position which he held for 22 years, until his retirement in 1941.
Mr. Mathews had a genius for the organization of details, a talent for which he found full scope in his work as Registrar. Among his hobbies was stamp-collecting in which his interest led to the foundation of the University's collection of stamps.
His intimate knowledge of the Provincial school system and his command of calendar and of University procedures were of inestimable value to the administration.
William Henry Mathews was born in Vancouver in 1919 and attended King George High School and the University of British Columbia. He received a B.A. Science in 1940 and M.A. Science in 1941 in Geological Engineering. He served as an Associate Mining Engineer in the BC Department of Mines from 1941-46 and then studied at the University of California at Berkeley for his Ph.D. from 1946-48. He began his academic career at Berkeley as an Assistant Professor from 1948-51 and joined the UBC Department of Geography and Geology in 1951. Professor Mathews served as Head of Geology from 1964 -71 and as a member of Senate from 1964-66. He was a classical field geologist as well as a professional engineer and well respected as a scientist and scholar. William Mathews was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and the Geological Society of America. He was also a member of the American Geophysical Union, the Geological Association of Canada, the British Glaciological Society, the Arctic Institute of North America, Phi Beta Kappa, Sigma Xi, the Alpine Club of Canada and the Natural History Society of British Columbia. Following his retirement from UBC in 1984, William Mathews continued an active research program as a Professor Emeritus.
The University of British Columbia is very fortunate to have a large and dedicated alumni eager to provide expertise, guidance and support to the University. With the recent passing of Donovan Miller and Chief Justice Nathan Nemetz, this university lost two individuals who personified the spirit of UBC, and who gave generously of their time and resources to its betterment.
Donovan Miller was born in Winnipeg in 1917. He received his early education there and in Edmonton, and moved to Vancouver in 1936. He intended to enroll at UBC, but World War Two intervened. He joined the Seaforth Highlanders and served as a Lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve, seeing action on the Atlantic and in Europe between 1941 and 1945. After the War he joined thousands of returning soldiers at UBC where, in 1947, he earned a degree in Commerce.
Degree in hand, he joined the Canadian Fishing Company Limited and through hard work and creative management, rose through various departments until 1984 when he retired as Chairman of the Board and President of that company.
Mr. Miller was also recipient of the Sloan Fellowship in 1954-55 at which time he attended MIT and earned a master of science degree in business administration.
Throughout his life, he gave generously of his time and talents to public service. He was particularly interested in matters surrounding the fishery and worked with both Canadian and Japanese organizations and the Canada-Japan Society to improve and preserve the industry. He was also very active in the Scouting movement, serving as president of the National Council from 1978 to 1980.
Mr. Miller was particularly dedicated to his alma mater. He became active in the Alumni Association shortly after graduation and was elected president in 1960. In 1962 he was elected by Convocation to the Senate which he served until 1970. From 1963 to 1972 he served on the University's Board of Governors during those difficult years. In recognition of his concern for UBC and his insight into its workings, he was elected Chancellor in 1975.
He was awarded many honours in his lifetime, including the Order of Canada, Order of Sacred Treasure of Japan 3rd Class, Silver Wolf - Boy Scouts of Canada and the Queen's Medal.
Donovan Miller was a wise and trusted friend of this university. He cared deeply about UBC and felt an abiding pride in its accomplishments.
Professor Loring (Jack) Goodwin Mitten, Professor Emeritus, died on June 19, 2000 at the age of 79.
Jack was a leader within the Faculty of Commerce & Business Administration during his tenure (1969 through 1985) at UBC. Jack joined UBC from Northwestern University where he had already established a reputation for high quality research, a strong commitment to teaching and leadership in his chosen discipline. Upon joining UBC, Jack served as Chair of the Division of Management Science from 1969 to 1979. He was the guiding force in the development of both the undergraduate and graduate programs in Management Science and the quantitative methods courses in the Commerce curriculum. Jack played a major role in designing the strategy for the emerging Management Science Division and played a major role in recruiting top quality colleagues in quantitative methods, statistics and logistics. In 1982 Jack was awarded the prestigious UBC Commerce Talking Stick for his outstanding leadership in developing the Management Science programs and quantitative courses in Commerce.
Jack was also a strong supporter of the graduate program in Management Science at UBC. He personally recruited a number of outstanding Ph.D. candidates, and then ensured that their learning experience at UBC was second to none. He is fondly remembered by his many former graduate students.
In addition to his many contributions to the development of our Management Science teaching programs, Jack provided valuable leadership in the administration of the Faculty of Commerce & Business Administration. He persuaded the Faculty (subsequently the University) to allow students to attend regular Faculty meetings, a hotly debated issue in Senate at that time. Jack encouraged the Faculty to institute mandatory and regular course and teacher evaluations long before they became part of UBC policy. Jack promoted the creation of the Faculty Executive Committee, a committee comprising both senior and junior colleagues to assist the Dean in the management of the Faculty. Jack was also instrumental in redrafting the Appointment, Promotions and Tenure policies for the Faculty, including the requirement for student input in the Appointment, tenure and promotion process. As former Dean Lusztig once noted, "Jack had a role in every important committee in Commerce".
Jack's scholarship and his strong commitment to students are remembered each year when the Faculty presents the Jack Mitten Award to the Commerce undergraduate student with the highest average in second year Commerce. As one former student noted on the occasion of Jack's retirement in 1985, "Jack's class was a refreshing break in the middle of a hectic day. I always felt refreshed when I woke up. ... For me, the genius of Jack Mitten is Commerce 110. It's amazing how Jack could receive 400 identical exams and return them in a perfect Bell curve".
While Jack retired almost 15 years ago, UBC Commerce continues to enjoy the benefits from many of his initiatives and projects. His wit, insightful observations, leadership and sincere concern for students will always be remembered.
Jack was predeceased by his wife Jean, and is survived by his daughter Suzanne Cloud Mitten-Lewis and his son Richard Charles Mitten.
Dr W. Robert (Bob) Morford was born in Malaya, into a military family. After serving for four years in the Royal Military Police, including three years in the Malayan Police Jungle Companies, Bob immigrated to Canada. He attended UBC, where he graduated at the top of the Physical Education class of 1956, and won four Big Block Awards for rugby. Bob went on to complete a Master of Arts degree in Physical Education at UBC, followed by a Doctor of Education in Education Psychology at the University of California, Berkeley.
Bob served as Professor and Chair of the Department of Health and Physical Education at California State University, Hayward from 1965-1971 and Professor and Director of the School of Physical Education and Health Education at the University of Washington from 1971-1978, before returning to UBC in 1978 as Professor and Director of the School of Physical Education and Recreation (now Kinesiology). Bob’s vision was to advance the research profile of the School based on a multi-disciplinary approach to the study and practice of physical education.
He was a leading advocate for the academic field of kinesiology, and was instrumental in the development of the Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Centre and the recruitment of sport and exercise medicine faculty and researchers at UBC.
In addition to his many other contributions to UBC, from 1981 to 1984, Bob served on the Senate as a Representative of Joint Faculties.Bob left UBC in 1995, and found himself back in the place of his birth. After serving for nine years as a senior consultant to the National Sports Institute of Malaysia, he retired to Chapala, Mexico.
Dr. Benjamin Moyls was born in Vancouver on May 1, 1919. After attending Kitsilano Secondary School, he went on to continue his education at UBC and Harvard University. Dr. Moyls served in the Royal Canadian Navy as an officer during World War II. Upon completion of his Ph.D. in Mathematics, he began his storied teaching career at UBC and went on to become the department Head. He also served as the Acting Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and the Director of Ceremonies and was a member of the UBC Senate as a representative of the Joint Faculties and the Acting Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
Dr. Moyls enriched the lives of many UBC students and was an outstanding teacher and mentor. His scholarly contributions, along with selfless administrative services to the university are accomplishments that bring tremendous pride to all those who have known him.
For well on to thirty years, the Honourable Denis Murphy served on the governing board of the University, giving to that service a profound knowledge of our community's life and the invaluable benefits of a judicial mind. This institution will indeed be fortunate if it continues to enlist the support of such a champion of academic dignity and academic freedom.
Back to Senate Tributes Index