Norman MacKenzie House (President's Residence)
- 6545 Northwest Marine Dr.
- Original construction: 1950
1997: Renovation of Atrium
- 1950: Sharp & Thompson, Berwick, Pratt
1983: Werner Foster
- 1950: $83,980
2006: “a little bit greater than ”
- Sources of funds:
- 1950: UBC
1983: $100,000 UBC funds and $400,000 private donations
1997: Federal government
- Person after whom named:
- Norman Archibald MacRae ("Larry") MacKenzie,
UBC president 1944-1962; the house was built for him and he and his family
lived in it 1951-1962.
- Use history:
- 1951-1969 and 1983- residence for UBC presidents
1969-1975 Division of Adult Education of the Faculty of Education
1975-1983 headquarters for UBC Botanical Garden
- Architectural features:
- In 1983 renovated in Mediteranean villa
style. Extended gabled roof cut over the entrance and a port-cochere added.
Asphalt roof shingles replaced by clay tiles. Two small glass additions
and a 7' high wall surrounding a part of the building. Exterior - terra-cotta
In 2015, renovation included a new sound system, new TVs, the installation of an air-conditioning system, a new heating system, new carpets, plumbing repairs, new patio furniture, and the replacement of floors.
- President Walter Gage, being a bachelor decided not to
move out of his apartment when elected in 1969 and the building was used
as office space until renovated for president George Pedersen in 1983.
Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin’s first formal meeting took place in 1993 at Norman MacKenzie House.
The 1997 APEC Summit was held in Norman MacKenzie House
- University Archives; N.A.M. MacKenzie papers; Board of Governors
Minutes; UBC President's Office; Fine Arts Pamphlet Files; Global News; Ubyssey; 24hours.
Alphabetical Index | Chronological Index