Vancouver School of Theology - Somerville House
- 6015 Walter Gage Road
- Original Construction - 2004
Renovated - c.2013
- Original - unknown
Renovation - Christine Lintott
- Sources of funds:
- Sales of property for housing development along Iona Drive and sale of the Iona Building.
- Name History:
- 2004-Current: Somerville House. Named after Archbishop T. David Somerville
- Architectural features:
- Current design adapts Christian references including a cruciform composed of a roof plane intersecting with a vertical element at one end. The vertical component is a frame illuminated by placement of fenestration at the building wall. The horizontal roof is suspended above a glazed forth floor clerestory expression above a more solid three story building base. The composition is complemented by distilled vertical frame elements which serve to buttress the east and west facades.
- Use History:
- 2004-2013: A student residence for the Vancouver School of Theology
2013-Current: Vancouver School of Theology, McMillan Library
2018-2021: First floor of south end used by Great Dane Coffee as overflow seating and a bakery.
- UBC Archives, Ubyssey, Vancouver School of Theology, UBC Campus and Community Planning
Alphabetical Index | Chronological Index