Mall Huts (M 1-39) -- along west side of Main Mall,
Orchard Huts (O 1-25) -- between Stores Rd., Old B.C. Research Council Building,
West Mall, and Arts One
Acadia Camp -- along Acadia Rd.,
Gymnasium, later Commerce Huts (G 1-13) -- north of Brock Hall,
Science Huts (S 1-11) -- between Chemistry and Physics,
Bus Stop Huts (B 1-10) -- east of Power House,
Auditorium Huts (A 1-9) -- west of Auditorium,
Library Huts (L 1-15) -- south and east of Main Library,
Wesbrook Camp (W1-35) -- along Wesbrook Mall,
Fort Camp -- on the location of todays' Anthropology
and Sociology Building.
Army camp on Lulu Island also adapted for living quarters in-situ.
- Original construction -- 1940
Moved to UBC -- 1945/46
- Sources of funds:
- N/A -- Department of National Defence turned over abandoned Army and
Air Force camps to UBC at the end of the World War II.
- Use history:
- Used for classrooms, laboratories,living quarters, offices, reading rooms,
student clubs, drafting rooms etc.
In post-war years accommodated Faculty of Law, Department
of Pharmacy, Nursing and Health, Architecture, Commerce, University Extension,
and B.C. Research Council.
- Architectural features:
- 60'x24' wood tar-paper sheathed huts.
- Demolition date:
- Removed gradually along with construction of permanent buildings.
are still on campus (as of 2000): a group on Biological Sciences Rd., Hillel
House, Sustainable Development Research Institute, Printmaking Huts,
- Two trailer camps were also used for student housing - Acadia Camp
on campus, and Little Mountain Camp in Vancouver.
Alphabetical Index | Chronological Index